[mythtv-users] MythTV backend running on NVIDIA Ka-el, 35W replaced by

mythtv mythtv at beadon.ca
Tue Mar 8 23:07:57 UTC 2011

http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/02/tegra-roadmap-revealed-next-chip-worlds-first-quadcore-mobile-processor/

> I'd like to see the comparison between a
> modern dual core Sandy Bridge part, with a 17W TDP and turbo speed of
> 2.7GHz, or quad core part with a 45W TDP and turbo speed of 3.4GHz
> (turbo being where one or more cores shut down to allow others to run at

> higher speed in the same power envelope).  It will be even more
> interesting the AMD Bulldozer parts due out in a few months, where the
> cores physically have a trench dug around them, with gating to allow
> whole chunks of the chip to be completely powered down, and even the
> high end eight and sixteen core parts are expected to have an idle
> consumption under 10W
>
>> I was surprised that I couldn't find any discussion of the backend
>> running
>> on ARM but then again ARM CPUs have never had this kind of horsepower
>> before.
>
> There have been, but they've all come to the same conclusion that ARM is

> not sufficient high performance to recommend for a backend.  Individual
> users claimed it was 'good enough', but they had limited channel count,
> with one or few tuners, and were willing to put up with the minute or
> longer scheduler runs.

[insert sound of my bubble popping] :(
Thanks for the detailed response.  I guess I got carried away with the
hype because I didn't delve into that much detail.
I'll go back to working on reducing the temp and power footprint of my
current system.

cheers,