[mythtv-users] Memory performance on Nvidia ION

Josu Lazkano josu.lazkano at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 21:25:20 UTC 2011

2011/2/23 warpme <warpme at o2.pl>:
> Hi,
>
> Just small expierience report from my system.
>
> I have 3xAsRock330Pro (ION1) with 2x1G RAM (512M allcated to video) used as my 3 production FEs.
> I'm using minimyth derivate with nv270.26 and Myth0.24-fixes 20110218 pull on 2.6.37.1 kernel.
> All compiled for x86_84 (but without Atom optimizations).
> With 270.26 I must say my FE are running best ever.
>
> I was tested: SD (720x576, 50/60fps), HD 720p with 24/29,9 fps , 1080i with 50/60 fps and 1080p with 24fps) with VDPAU Normal profile - no any issues with tearing, jerkines, etc. I'm using those 3 FE in production environment (appox 3-4h of playback daily
>
> So far only issue which I notice is sporadic, rare 0.5sec halts on DVB-T with interlaced H.264 SD content which I believe is related to MBAFF implementation in ffmpeg.
>
> Regarding 1x2G vs 2x1G: it matters as 2x1 is interleaved config offering twice mem BW for sequential RAM access (and GPU access to video memory is perfect example is sequential RAM access).
> This aspect is has binary nature (there is BW threshold crossing it will cause playback jerkiness).
>
> For me it was difficult to catch VRAM BW bottleneck as in Advanced 2x framerate deinterlacer GPU computing power start to limit earlier that VMEM BW).
>
> But You have to take into account that MEM BW for rest of the system is result of substraction of avaliable MEM BW and VRAM consumed BW. So functional result of statying with 1x2G will be that Your video will be OK, but Your apps will run  slower....
>
> just my 0.02$

Hello, thanks for this helpful post, I just install the second
Kingston KHX6400D2/2G (now I have 4GB). On the BIOS I have allocated
512MB for GPU, on the resume says that I have 3072MB, is this normal?

I check on the Performance options, I got some speed parameters that I
don't understand, can you help with this?

Here is my BIOS screenshots:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1541853/bios.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1541853/bios1.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1541853/bios2.jpg

Here meminfo before and then to install second memory:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1541853/meminfo1
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1541853/meminfo2

Thanks for your posts, best regards.

--