[mythtv-users] HD-PVR Errors

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 13:23:14 UTC 2011

I was just wondering if these are the typical errors when an HD-PVR
channel-change script doesn't have a long enough sleep.

2011-03-08 07:00:17.977 DevRdB(/dev/video-hdpvr-1) Error: Poll giving up
2011-03-08 07:00:18.052 MPEGRec(/dev/video-hdpvr-1) Error: Device error
detected
2011-03-08 07:00:36.078 [h264 @ 0x3617ef7ec0]decode_slice_header error

Or is there something else I should try?  My channel change script is as
follows:
#!/bin/sh
#
PROG=/usr/local/bin/mythchanger
ARGS="-c $1 -f 4"

if [ ! -x "$PROG" ]; then
    echo "$PROG is not executable"
    exit 1
fi
if [ -z "$1" ]; then
    echo "You must provide a channel CLI argument"
    exit 1
fi

/usr/bin/sudo $PROG $ARGS
sleep 6
The mythtv user has a sudo entry NOPASSWD: /usr/local/bin/mythchanger and it
works well.  mythchanger is the Firewire channel changer connected to a Time
Warner Sci Atl 4250HDC.  I know there's a 12-second timeout in the backend
settings, so should I bump the sleep to 8 or 10?

I've also noticed this occurs after Time Warner updates the STB and it stays
in the off position.  I'd rather avoid adding the -P (power-on) flag for
each channel-change since it adds a couple of seconds lag.  Is there a good
way to determine if the STB is off and turn it on without specifying -P for
each channel change?

Thanks.

/Brian/