[mythtv-users] WOT: Moving video around in a PC without using overlay

E. Westbrook mythtv-users at westbrook.com
Sat Mar 5 17:51:05 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 07:17, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> Clearly, though, my actual problem is just that I need to locate "V4L 101";
> it must be out there somewhere...

I'd also suggest at least auditing "gstreamer 101", so to speak -- and also
that you follow their mailing lists for a while (which are busy, but very
knowledge-packed).

Gstreamer can assemble and run video pipelines with seemingly innumerable
combinations of source elements (e.g. v4l/v4l2, static files, and numerous
encodings), processing and filtering elements, and "sink" elements (which
can render to your choice of xv, opengl, etc, or can even pick one
automatically) right from the command line.  (Although, a potentially long
command line, that you'll surely want to script for actual deployment.)

In the surveillance biz, generally speaking, we've got a lot of those old
analog 4x4 muxers laying around, too.  I used to regularly do cleaning and
focus in the field on fixed cameras using just a crappy hand monitor and a
ladder, so I would agree that pristine video isn't necessary.

Creating a better muxer with your desired layout in software using a
gstreamer pipeline is certainly do-able, and actually should be pretty
straightforward -- although you'll definitely need some patience to
experimentally get the elements identified and all configured right for your
available sources and desired outputs.  (I actually did it once, with
timestamps and camera info on OSD for each feed too, but didn't save the
gstreamer pipeline command; sorry.  The "suits" wanted to pay more and get
less from a vendor who wined and dined them.)

Whichever route you go, as already suggested, starting simple makes for best
satisfaction in my experience.  Good luck!  I'd be personally interested in
hearing how you make out.

$0.02,
Eric