[mythtv-users] Video Card Recommendation Needed

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Sat Mar 5 16:05:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have both a GT220 and a GT430 ; both with fans.
>
> The GT220 is about twice the size as the GT430. The GT430 is supposed
> to generate less heat, but they are both silent: I can't hear the fan.

I have an low profile EVGA GT430.  It has a small heatsink and a
silent fan.  I tried running without the fan plugged in (thinking that
VDPAU might not tax the card too much), but it eventually got hot
enough that I stopped my experiment (90 deg C and rising).   The Asus
looks to have a much better heatsink... someone might try doing the
same with it.

Yes, I'm aware that there is a FULL height passive model.  I've seen
the half height active models on sale for roughly half the price of
the passive (including right now at Fry's).

   Marc