[mythtv-users] New IPTV setup

Per Lundberg perlun at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 23:10:15 UTC 2011

Hi Scott,

thanks for your kind sympathy. :-)

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 6:29 PM, Scott Cunningham <scott at netaddicted.ca>wrote:

I feel your pain.

> The way Mythtv works (to my understanding which is still limited), it
> spools the stream to a file then the internal player plays the file.   This
> gives you the ability to pause and rewind live tv.   I think this is the
> jump file the error is referring to.  You may want to check the livetv
> directory / group to see if the file is being created or is empty.
>
> Guru's can jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong.

No need to correct you, I think you are completely correct. When I looked
now, the file doesn't even seem to have been created (but I guess it may
have been cleaned out somehow since yesterday, who knows).

I did some more playing around - once again, I managed to get one channel
working, but channel switches to other channels completely non-functional.

Then I tried an idea found at this userpage on the Mythtv wiki:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Dekarl/How_to_remux_elementary_streams_to_look_like_a_Freebox
The idea is to re-stream all the streams using VLC in streaming mode. I set
this up, and started vlc. I tested it with my local PC (on WLAN using the
same network), using VLC. Worked just fine. The URL was then something like
rtsp://terah:5554/fst5 (terah is my mythtv backend host).

Then I tried using the same URL in Mythtv. Guess what? "Error opening jump
program file"...

I stopped the mythtv backend and started it with some other options. Like
this: "mythbackend -v channel -l
/var/log/mythtv/mythbackend-debug-channel.log"
(normally, it is being run from an init.d script)

And guess what? It all worked fine...?!?! :-) I could watch the channels
from this IPTV source with no problems whatsoever.

I don't know if I should be laughing or crying. Anyway, will have to test
this further some other day. I want to see if I can get it running without
the vlc proxy (but with channel logging turned on). If that works, the next
step would be to enable channel logging in the init.d script. Does it make a
difference? I don't know. But really, if it works, I think I'll accept it
like that...
--
Best regards,
Per Lundberg