[mythtv-users] WOT: Moving video around in a PC without using overlay

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 07:56:15 UTC 2011

Jay Ashworth wrote:

>But yes, I'll need *much* better
>resolution than 320x240; I'll be focusing cameras through this thing.

Then I'd suggest you'll need to be displaying the image at it's
native resolution then - at least when focusing. Any scaling (whether
up or down in resolution) is most likely going to lose definition and
blur the image. Some forms of resampling may work (those that
selectively drop or duplicate lines) will leave the sharpness - but
introduce their own visual effects (san you imagine the effect of
(say) dropping every 10th line in each field ?).

Would you have the option of using a separate display for the
focusing bit, switching it to the required feed ? If you take that
requirement out then you may find it removes some complications from
your system. My feeling is that unless you can find someone (ideally
locally) who understands how the video handling stuff in GNU/Linux
works and can program this for you, then you'll have a big enough
challenge just getting a basic montage working - without introducing
constraints such as keeping the signal good enough for camera
focusing.

I can see why you shouldn't be able to do what you are asking for -
but I think you'll stand a better chance of getting a system working
if you keep it as simple as possible to start with. Once you've shown
it can be done, expanding/enhancing it later should be easier.
If you try and do too mush in the first version, there's a risk that
you won't get anything acceptable and both you and the technology you
are promoting will lose face - making it much harder to try again
later.

--
Simon Hobson