[mythtv-users] missing recordings

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Mar 4 01:52:51 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> But frequently, the same show/episode is also available on another
>> channel/tuner airing at the same time.  If MythTV could somehow detect
>> the failed recordings, it could immediately start recording on the
>> other tuner/channel with a few seconds/minutes missing from the start.
>
> Scheduling doesn't operate in a vacuum.  What you're asking is /much/
> more complex that it seems.  Later reschedule might be ok, but trying to
> automatically detect a failure and immediately move the recording to a
> new tuner (and, through changing placement of recordings, affect future
> recordings) is a recipe for disaster.

I think you're overstating it.

Yes, there are a lot of details and corner cases and getting it 100%
perfect is hard, but I think this is a case where a mediocre solution
would go a long way toward improving things and not be too terribly
hard.  For example, if you could only handle cases where there would
be no affect on future recordings, I would call that beyond good
enough.  Just loop through the tuners to try to find one that can
(theoretically) tune the channel, is currently idle, and is not
currently scheduled to be used before the scheduled end of the
recording.  How is that a recipe for disaster?

In my case, I have one STB which is connected to the backend both via
firewire and a PVR-150.  The two tuners are in the same input group.
If I try to record a 5C channel over firewire, I'll get a recording
with no file, but the PVR-150 is sitting there and will always be
available.  It should be safe to fail over to another tuner in the
same input group without even checking the schedule.

Eric