[mythtv-users] Video Card Recommendation Needed

Thrash Dude thrash.dude at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 23:46:44 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 15:38:59 -0800
Ajay Sharma <ajayrockrock at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 9:17 AM, Thrash Dude <thrash.dude at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 10:58:23 +1100
> > Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Get a GT430.
> >>
> >> The GT240 is overkilled ; and doesn't have any of the nice audio
> >> features found in the GT4xx series.
> >
> > I'd avoid any of the fermi chips unless you also plan on gaming.
> > That is until/if Nvidia fixes the mixer code for the fermi chips.
> >
> > The GT430 is on par with an ION, 8400, GT210.
> >
> > For VDPAU, GT9500+ GT220+ are the better, and less expensive
> > choices.
> >
> > http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=133465&page=28
>
> I'm planning on getting a GT440 pretty soon.  Sorry for being dense,
> but what's wrong with the mixer code for the fermi chips?  I read the
> link that you posted but it didn't describe the problem.
>
> --Ajay

If you read that thread, it shows vdpau test results for many different
cards. The results show the new fermi chips being extremely weak in the
mixer code (IVTC ...) granted, if all you ever decode is 24p or SD
material you'll most likely not see a problem. If you decode HD
material that needs IVTC or HD material that broadcasts at 60/59.9FPS
(Some ABC/Fox shows) the fermi cards will hit a bottleneck.

In other words - the fermi cards may not be able to handle the advanced
2x deinterlacer with all material.

Straight from an Nvidia dev -
The FERMI mixer code may well not be as optimized as the previous
generations. Hence, performance may not be as fast.