[mythtv-users] securing mythweb

Greg greg12866 at nycap.rr.com
Wed Mar 2 22:49:39 UTC 2011

On 03/02/2011 05:23 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-03-02 at 13:07 -0800, Gabe Rubin wrote:
>> Either way, some help securing mythweb would be greatly
>> appreciated.
> Hi;
>
> Do you have the required module(s) enabled? In my case, its:
>
>    a2enmod auth_digest
>
> My digest permissions look like this:
>
>   -rw-r----- 1 mythtv www-data   46 2010-09-29 18:04 mythweb-htdigest
>
> Good luck,
>
> Bill

This is how I set it up on Ubuntu...I am sure if you adjust your paths
it will work for you also....

sudo a2enmod
When prompted for what module you want to enable enter:
auth_digest
Create your password directory
sudo mkdir /etc/mythtv/mythweb-digest/passwd
cd /etc/mythtv/mythweb-digest/
sudo mkdir passwd

Create your password FILE
sudo htdigest -c /etc/mythtv/mythweb-digest/passwd/passwords MythTV greg

Grant permissions to the new password file:

sudo chown www-data /etc/mythtv/mythweb-digest/passwd/passwords

sudo chgrp www-data /etc/mythtv/mythweb-digest/passwd/passwords
sudo chmod 640 /etc/mythtv/mythweb-digest/passwd/passwords

sudo gedit /etc/apache2/apache2.conf

<Directory "/var/www/mythweb">
   Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
   AuthType Digest
   AuthName "MythTV"
   AuthUserFile /etc/mythtv/mythweb-digest/passwd/passwords
   Require valid-user
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from 192.168.1.
   Satisfy any