[mythtv-users] Merge of OSD and Main themes causes WAF to Plummet

Daniel Born born_daniel at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 2 18:21:38 UTC 2011

> Monday, February 28, 2011 11:29 AM

            > From:
            > "Raymond Wagner" <raymond at wagnerrp.com>

        	> To:
        	> "Discussion about MythTV" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>> On 2/28/2011 11:20, Andre wrote:
>> On 28 Feb 2011, at 15:12, Dan Armbrust wrote:
>>>   The only reason I've ever
>>> heard it "its better this way" cause "users can't break our pretty
>>> themes".  Well, maybe the display engine should be smart enough to
>>> cut/wrap/scroll elements as necessary.
>>>
>>> I mean, seriously.   Show me even _one_ other graphical system, where
>>> fonts can not be adjusted independently of themes.  Windows?  Linux?
>>> Mac?

 Have you ever seriously used this feature in Windows, Linux (Gnome or
KDE) or Mac? > If you had you would know that the results are naff at the
very best, I regularly use all
> three of these on very very high
resolution screens and the scaling is disastrous.

> As an example
of it not working, Apple has recently gotten a lot of press about adding

> meaningful support for high density displays in 10.7, to be released in
 several months.
> Were this something existing graphical systems
actually did well, such a feature would
> not be news worthy.

Perhaps the solution lies in specifying font sizes, etc. in screen size percentages?
Internally this could all be computed into real values based on screen resolution vs screen size (and perhaps also consider a predetermined viewing distance which is usually greater for large screens).

Anyway, just a thought.
Daniel

P.S. I wish these discussions could be more constructive instead of often turning into arguments... I know it always comes down to people who "do" and people who "demand" but let's just toss ideas around and see what comes out of it (directly or indirectly, now or in the future, or never). I for one certainly don't feel like I am in a position to demand anything from this project or its contributors, not until I contribute myself in any measurable way.