[mythtv-users] MythVideo feature idea: cover.jpg from screen shot

John Luber john at luberfamily.net
Wed Mar 2 13:21:42 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Preston Crow <pc-mythtv08a at crowcastle.net>wrote:

> I have a bunch of files in mythvideo with no cover art, as they aren't
> movies in IMDB.  In many cases, it would be simple to pause playback in
> an appropriate place, and select an option to save the image as a cover
> art image from the menu.  This would only work with the internal player,
> but that works so well for most video types now that that shouldn't be a
> problem.
>
> Another option might be to grab the frame at a given offset (say 2
> minutes) and use that for any video lacking cover art.
>
> Now if only I had time to write the patch myself...

I use the following as part of a script that I wrote to capture coverart for
videos without an IMDB entry - mostly home movies in my case.

ffmpeg -y -i ${list[$choice]} -vframes 1 -ss 00:00:10 -an -vcodec png -f
rawvideo -s 320x240 $mythPosters/"$title".png

This will grab a frame from the video at a 10 sec offset.  In the case of
this example ${list[$choice]} is the name of the video file. $mythPosters is
the storage group directory and $title is the name of the image filename.