[mythtv-users] Got my Ceton infiniTV 4...any else have one yet?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Jun 30 15:14:51 UTC 2011

> You would need to scan in QAM (no CableCard) mode, but I thought with a
> CableCard it would be just like adding a Firewire tuner.  There is no
> scanning involved there, unless there is something going on under the hood
> without intervention.

But how does myth know anything about what channels are available? It
doesn't. You need to get them in the database somehow. Otherwise you
won't be able to tune the channels, you won't have any guide data for
those channels, etc. And that's why I was saying, even if you have a
cablecard, you need to run a "channel scan" anyway...even if it wasn't
a tradition scan but rather a quick lookup in cards channel listing,
you still somehow would need to tie into myth channel scanning system,
so that you have a way to initiate it, coordinate the changes, etc.
Either that, or you manually enter them one by one.

> My guess is that you are actually modifying MythTV code instead of using the
> Import Recorder.  If you are modifying code and are willing to share, how
> would one use your code, but continue to get fixes?

Yeah, that's what I've been posting about the last couple
time...writing custom code in myth to handle it. Anyone interested in
using it would have to download the myth source, apply my changes, and
compile. If you wanted to upgrade to a newer version of fixes, you'd
do the same thing (download latest fixes, apply my changes, and
compile).

> My plan was something like this:
> 2) Add four import recorders, one for each tuner.
> - Not sure what to specify for filename.  Either use a consistent filename
> for each tuner and rename later or give the filename later.  I have to
> figure out how this works.

You think I wanted to write custom code? :-)  Using the import or demo
recorder was actually my original plan as well (as I mentioned in my
post 2 weeks ago). I even did a proof of concept using my PVR-500 and
pointing the demo recorder at /dev/video0 and it worked fine, so I was
hoping the Ceton would work the same way. It did not. I then thought I
would use the import recorder. It didn't work with the /dev entry as
the filename either. So I tried leaving the filename blank and then
using myth events to start/stop an external script to handle the
recording. That worked fine for the first show (though there was a big
delay at the beginning), but didn't want to change channels, stop
recording, or even trigger my external script to tell it to stop (I'd
stop playback, it would keep going for several minutes, and then as
soon as I killed my recording process, it would THEN receive the
notification that the recording ended). So, in the end, I tried and
tried, but no amount of hacking could seem to get either of those
built in recorders to work properly with the Ceton. So that's why I'm
writing custom code.

--
Ron Frazier