[mythtv-users] Using devinput but devinput lircd.conf file does not contain all my remote buttons on Harmony One

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 16:23:31 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 7:07 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Jun 27, 2011, at 10:40 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:

>>> Yep! :)

>>> Not sure about Fedora 14 anymore. I thought it had a sufficiently new
>>> enough ir-kbd-i2c, but it appears not. It'll be different with the F15
>>> kernel, the default keytable *should* work out of the box, if I'm
>>> thinking clearly. I'm actually running mostly locally git-built 3.0-rc
>>> kernels myself right now, so my view of reality is skewed. :)
>>>

>> Awesome.  This works now.  I made adjustments in the lircrc file and
>> all the keys work correctly with myth now.  This means I can actually
>> run a current kernel, so very cool.
>>
>> Now, (hopefully just) one more question.  How do I get the module to
>> load up automatically and the keymap to load in automatically?
>>
>> I still need to manually load the module on reboot by doing this:
>> modprobe ir-kbd-i2c debug=1
>
> You don't need the debug part anymore. Add a shell script at
> /etc/sysconfig/modules/ir.modules where the contents are simply:
>
> ----8<----
> #!/bin/sh
>
> /sbin/modprobe ir-kbd-i2c
> ----8<----
>
> That'll make sure ir-kbd-i2c gets auto-loaded early on in boot.

Done.  Should I remove /etc/sysconfig/modules/lirc.modules, as it is
now obsolete and just contains this:
#!/bin/bash
/sbin/modprobe lirc_i2c

>> I then need to load the keymap by doing this (I created a new keymap
>> file called haupp2 so I could mess around with the non-original file):
>> ir-keytable -c -w /etc/rc_keymaps/haupp2
>
> Edit /etc/rc_maps.cfg, and add a line like so:
>
> ir-kbd-i2c rc-rc5-tv haupp2
>
> There's actually half-decent documentation in the config file. At least,
> there is in the one in the git tree right now... Basically, you can
> where driver is the kernel driver (ir-kbd-i2c in this case), default
> keytable name is the driver's, well, default keytable name (as shown
> in ir-keytable output, before any other keytable has been pushed in),
> and file is the name of the keymap in /etc/rc_keymaps/ that you want
> to be loaded into the kernel for your driver/keytable name pair. You
> can also have wildcards for either of those, so actually, this would
> probably work too:
>
> * * haup2
>
> I'm not actually sure what order directives in there are parsed, but
> I don't see one for ir-kbd-i2c or that keymap, so yeah, should work...

I did it without the wildcards using the syntax you first gave
(ir-kbd-i2c rc-rc5-tv haupp2).  That and the shell script from above
autoloads the module and keymap on reboot, so everything is working as
expected now.  Thanks so much for your help on this.

>> By the way, this is the first line of the file; I thought it had a
>> hash mark before the title, but I either I was wrong or I removed it
>> accidentally (does it need to be there?)
>> [root at localhost ~]# more /etc/rc_keymaps/haupp2
>> table haupp, type: RC-5
>
> Typically, they start with a hash, but meh, if it works, whatever. :)
>

>> At any event, it works well now and I am able to live with manually
>> automatically start.
>>
>> Also, do I need to edit my lirc.conf file in modprobe.conf.d to remove
>> i2c stuff?  This is currently in there:
>>
>> #lirc_module_configuration
>> alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
>
> That hasn't done anything at all for you since Fedora 10 or earlier, if
> I'm thinking clearly. The lirc patches in Fedora have been using miscdev
> rather than a hard-coded char major of 61 for a few years now. Its 2x as
> useless now that you're using ir-kbd-i2c though. ;)

Can I safely delete the lirc.conf file then?

>> Again, thanks for your help.  I am concerned about what happens when I
>> move to a f15 or f16 kernel (more likely the latter as I do my updates
>> around thanksgiving when the version I am on EOLs) and if my keymap
>> file will be wonky again.
>
> In F15 or F16, in theory, your remote *should* work without having to
> mess around with the stock keymap. So you may need to undo the change to
> /etc/rc_maps.cfg. Worst-case, take that map you have, add the 0x1e back
> in, and it should work exactly like it is right now. The driver will
> simply be passing along full rc5 scancodes (device code + button code),
> rather than just the button code portion of the scancode.

Cool.  I will hopefully remember this when I upgrade.

Again, thanks for your help and patience on this.  I never would have
figured out any of this without the assistance!