[mythtv-users] MythTV Hardware Upgrade Questions

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Wed Jun 29 13:49:44 UTC 2011

On 11-06-27 03:22 PM, Aaron wrote:
> Thanks guys for the replies; here is my current hardware setup.
>
> Intel Q8200
> Zotac GT 240 w/ Zalman VNF100 Passive Cooler
> 4GB Ram (single channel due to mobo oversight)
> GIGABYTE GA-73PVM-S2H Motherboard
> WD 500GB 72k
> Samsung Spinpoint 1TB
> Firewire recording via Motorola STB (Verizon FiOS)
> HDHR 2 Tuner
>
> It does work fine most of the time, but I seem to be having a problem
> with the box locking/pausing when a show begins or ends. The hdd light
> comes on for about 5 seconds then everything returns to normal. I only
> record HD streams; primarily broadcast channels, and SpeedTV (F1
> Races). VDPAU is working and CPU use for watching is minimal.

The HDD light on solid for 5-seconds is the clue here.
At the beginning and end of a new recording, mythtv seems to generate
a huge flurry of database activity, which is hard on both the CPU
and the storage subsystem.

Putting the system installation (with mysql database(s)) onto a (fast) SSD
will alleviate much of that, while continuing to use your Samsung 1TB mechanical
drive for mass storage of recordings and videos.

Might not fix it completely, but it ought to get you most of the way there.

Cheers
-ml