[mythtv-users] MythTV Hardware Upgrade Questions

Julius Roberts hooliowobbits at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 23:29:06 UTC 2011

On 29 June 2011 02:09, Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
> I'm waiting for the right moment personal finance and technology wise to upgrade the 120GB SSD in my laptop, then the
> laptop SSD can be used in my myth server for OS & DB :-)

Wanting SSD speed and HDD capacity i too was in your situation.  For
my desktop i recently I installed a hybrid
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_drive.) SSD/HDD 2.5" device from
Seagate called the Momentus XT 500gb.  I'm not booting off it, i have
a proper SSD for that, but using this for data storage.  It's not
quite as fast as my old 10,000rpm raptor, but not far off.

The thing that sold it for me was that it was significantly cheaper (i
paid $150au) than either a large capacity SSD or a fast SATA disk, yet
approached both in terms of speed and capacity
(http://www.anandtech.com/print/3734)  YMMV of course :)

--
Kind regards, Jules

The CLI is everywhere. It's all around us, even in this very room. You
can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your
television. You can feel it when you go to work, when you go to work,
when you pay your taxes. The GUI is the world that has been pulled
over your eyes to blind you from the truth.