[mythtv-users] Freezing and crash with .iso dvds in v0.24-fixes from git

Neil Salstrom salstrom at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 02:07:39 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was able to use a local mount to verify baseline performance of ISO
> startup/playback, so that would probably do as a temporary workaround,
> keeping in mind that support for local mounts is eventually going
> away, and you may not see the video metadata under the local mount.
>
>> I'd say that about 75% of the new DVD's I try to play crash at some
>> point mid playback.  I've taken to ripping a .mkv of the main title so
>> we can watch seamlessly (without having to jump past a certain point
>> then back up).
>
> I'm not an expert, but that sounds more like a dvdnav issue than an
> ISO storage group issue.
>
> Jim

Well, as with many tech support type situations it is suddenly working
today.  Still a bit slow and somewhat long pauses but nothing like
yesterday.  The odd thing is I've changed nothing with the software.
No system updates and no mythtv updates.

That being said, I'm wondering about how storage groups are handled.
The drive that has the .iso files are local to the frontend / backend
and not a separate network drive.  Being that they are set up in
storage groups do they still get routed through my network?  I
discovered yesterday that the Netgear 5 port switch the system is on
is faulty.  Stupid Netgear.  Second switch that died on me (the other
was an 8 port Netgear.  I'm going to try a different brand this
time!).  I get ~1.5 Mb/s right now on this switch.

Since this is a storage group is it for some reason routing the video
across my network and making it choke on the switch rather than just
playing it strictly from the local drive?  Maybe that is what causes
the problems.  When I get the new switch I can verify.

Thanks,

Neil