[mythtv-users] MythTV Hardware Upgrade Questions

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 01:01:56 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Aaron <aaron at rb303.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 8:34 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

>>> That sounds promising, and I have not tried it. Is it easy to move,
>>> any pointers or how-to's? I'm on Mythbuntu 10.04 LTS
>>
>>    You might want to approach it from the other end. Move your recordings
>> to a different drive and leave your database where it is. Leave everything
>> but your recordings on your root disk.
>>
> I actually just finished doing that (I think). I added my 1 TB drive
> into the Default Storage Group, now its using that as the primary
> disk. I just test recorded 4 streams, while watching a recording from
> last week, and I did not notice the studder/pause.
>
> Disk Usage Details:
> MythTV Drive #1:
> Directory: gazerbeam:/mnt/sdc1/recordings
> Total Space: 938,898 MB
> Space Used: 364,612 MB
> Space Free: 574,286 MB
> MythTV Drive #2:
> Directories: gazerbeam:/var/lib/mythtv/livetv,
> gazerbeam:/var/lib/mythtv/recordings
> Total Space: 460,007 MB
> Space Used: 41,892 MB
> Space Free: 418,114 MB
>

> I'll monitor it this week, if it was really this simple; I will kick
> myself. I do have another issue with audio volumes, but I think i'll
> wait on that until this is resolved.
> Thanks for all the help :)

If you do decide on upgrading your high-performance computer, I am
happy to take some components off your hand.

But seriously, I am interested in how this affects your performance as
I have a similar issue.  I am tempted to go with a USB stick or SSD
for the database, but I am leery of putting that on something that has
a limited amount or read/write cycles (although that limit may be much
higher than what I would encounter, but I imagine the db gets a lot of
writes on a daily basis).

I am also interested in hearing from others about whether it is
worthwhile to put on a flash drive, or if that would actually decrease
my current performance (everything on a single drive).  I do have some
older drives I could install, but I would want to to keep my current
drive for recordings as it is 2TB, is my biggest drive, and it would
be a waste to not store media on it.