[mythtv-users] MythTV Hardware Upgrade Questions

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Jun 27 21:21:58 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Aaron <aaron at rb303.net> wrote:
> That sounds promising, and I have not tried it. Is it easy to move,
> any pointers or how-to's? I'm on Mythbuntu 10.04 LTS

I recommend that you get a small but fast solid state disk.  Reinstall
your OS onto the SSD, but mount /home, /var/lib/myth*, and other such
directories from your existing magnetic disks.  Make sure to do a
database backup first, then restore the backup after you have the OS
installed on the new drive.
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore)

30GB is big enough for the database and OS and it really speeds up
anything that uses the db a lot.  I've noticed that searching for and
scheduling new recordings is much faster since I've done this to my
backend.

Eric