[mythtv-users] Different grabber for one channel

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jun 27 15:01:26 UTC 2011

On 06/27/2011 09:50 AM, Ramon Hofer wrote:
> On 06/27/2011 12:12 AM, Nick Morrott wrote:

>>> Thank for your reply Nick.
>>>
>>> I configured the channels in mythtv-setup (SSF with ch_search and the
>>> others with eu_epgdata).
>>> Mythtv-backend runs mythfilldatabase for both grabbers and it finds data
>>> for both grabbers.
>> I'm pretty sure that the backend can only run one grabber
>> automatically per video source (although this might have changed
>> recently). As you need to run two grabbers for your single video
>> source (that contains the channels served by both _eu_epgdata and
>> _ch_search) you will likely need to run one or both XMLTV grabbers
>> manually and import the data through mythfilldatabase.
> Yes, you may be right.
> I created two video sources (one for each grabber).
> And assigned the video source for epg_data to both of the tuners.
> The channel data are correct.
> But SSF isn't assigned to any tuner.

Yeah, this is exactly what's wrong.  FWIW, this is /also/ why we haven't
ever called, "Video Source," a "Listings Source" or similar--because
it's /not/ just a way to specify from where to pull listings.

A Video Source is a unique list of channels and their tuning
information, as available over an input.  So, if you have different
channels available on different inputs or you have the same channels
available, but they're tuned differently (i.e. firewire on one and
external channel change script for an STB on another), you'd need 2
different Video Sources.

Also, since the Video Source specifies which channels are available on
the input, only those channels in the Video Source connected to the
input are usable--as you noticed, above, when you tried connecting a
different source to the 2 inputs (though both receive their video from
the same "real-world" source).  If you have an unconnected Video Source,
it's completely unusable.

>>> But I can't tune to SSF in LiveTV and mythtv-backend doesn't record
>>> anything from SSF.

As you found here.  :)

We don't currently allow using multiple XMLTV grabbers (listings
providers) with a single Video Source, and changing our code to allow
this would require a lot of work.  Since not a lot of people need such a
capability, and since XMLTV provides the tools necessary to combine
results from multiple grabbers--using tv_grab_combiner--this change
isn't high on the list of things to do.

>> You should be able to tune your analog channels even if there are no
>> listings available. Are you sure you have the correct frequency
>> information configured for the SSF channel? Are you sure all channels
>> are configured on a single video source in mythtv-setup?
> This is my mistake.
>
> Is the following solution correct?
> I need only one video source for the analogue cable connection which I
> can allocate with epg_data and add the XMLTVID for SSF into it.
> Then I need to run both grabbers and combine their data with
> tv_grab_combiner.

Yep.

Mike