[mythtv-users] How best to move to git bleeding edge from fedora rpm

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Sat Jun 25 08:55:11 UTC 2011

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, Mark wrote:

> I would like to transform my myth box from a rpm based system to a
> git based system.
>
> mdean made a change recently that I would like to pick up.
>
> Looked out there for advice on how best to move from one system to
> the other, and I am drawing a blank from google.
>
> I know a bit about how to use git (have been using svn at work for
> over a decade now) and I have made a copy of the code.

Grab the RPM spec file from
<http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/trunk/packaging/rpm/mythtv.spec>

To create the source files for it, use something like:

# AJB20110112 - summary of pulling 0.24-fixes using GIT
# cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/mythtv-0.24-fixes-GIT20110112
# mv mythtv/mythtv-0.24 mythtv/mythtv
# mv mythtv/mythplugins-0.24 mythtv/mythplugins
# git clone git://github.com/MythTV/mythtv.git mythtv
# git checkout fixes/0.24
# git pull
# cd mythplugins
# git clone git://github.com/MythTV/mythweb.git
# git checkout fixes/0.24
# git pull
# cd ../..
# mv mythtv/mythtv mythtv/mythtv-0.24
# mv mythtv/mythplugins mythtv/mythplugins-0.24
# cd mythtv
# tar -jcvf ../mythtv-0.24.bz2 mythtv-0.24
# tar -jcvf ../mythplugins-0.24.bz2 mythplugins-0.24
#
# to update tree:
# cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/mythtv-0.24-fixes-GIT20110112
# mv mythtv/mythtv-0.24 mythtv/mythtv
# mv mythtv/mythplugins-0.24 mythtv/mythplugins
# cd mythtv
# git pull
# cd mythplugins/mythweb
# git pull
# mv mythtv/mythtv mythtv/mythtv-0.24
# mv mythtv/mythplugins mythtv/mythplugins-0.24

Then

 	rpmbuild -ba /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/mythtv.spec

or similar.

Then

 	rpm -Fvh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/$ARCH/*yth*

or similar to install.

> What I don't understand is the best way to make sure I don't toast
> all of my good settings so I can have minimum down time in the conversion.
>
> What I THINK I have to do:
>
> back up the mysql mythconverg database ( I have seen a script to do
> it, don't remember where it was, but that is not a problem... I can find that).

Backups are always worthwhile. :-)

> rpm -q -a | grep mythtv
> Inspect the list and delete everything that I think is provided by
> the git repository.
> Go to my local mythtv git repository and do a make (maybe config,
> whatever the README says).  Install the executables.

See above.

> Restore the database.

This should be unnecessary. When the new mythbackend is started, it should
automagically upgrade your schema.

> reboot and pray.
>
> Has anyone done this recently?  Are there instructions somewhere?
>
> Thanks
> Mark

HTH,
Alex