[mythtv-users] Rec-Pending system event on backend-only system?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Jun 22 10:05:48 UTC 2011

On 21/06/11 17:51, Jeff Piazza wrote:

> Now that summer's here, the TV associated with the slave myth system goes to
> another location entirely (long story).  Now that the slave system has no
> monitor, X won't start, and, in turn, neither with mythfrontend.  Well,
> that's fine, there's no special reason to have it running when there's no way
> to view it.  However, I do still have the back end set up, and use it for
> recording from the STB.

This is a common problem I've faced when setting boxes up to be headless
servers. Some video drivers baulk at not having anything connected and stop
right there - very difficult to debug when you haven't got a monitor connected!

The solution, fortunately, is simple. Go into your video configuration and
select the "Vesa" driver. That's dumb enough that it will allow the box to boot
up without any monitor connected, and when you need to do maintenance will allow
you to connect a monitor and run X well enough to get the task done.

--

Mike Perkins