[mythtv-users] Mythvideo (0.23.1) seek problems with Handbrake(0.9.5) DVD "high" profile rips to h.264 MKV

lists.md301 lists.md301 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 14:20:23 UTC 2011

I wanted to ask about a problem I've noticed with Mythvideo playback of DVD
ripped using Handbrake 0.9.5 using the preset High quality into MKV
container.  The short version is that the video playback is confused about
the current playback position whenever seeking/jumping (other than chapter
markers) within the video.  Discontinuities, when starting a seek, end up
jumping backward from the starting point.  Likewise, bookmarks end up
returning to the video at an earlier time.  Finally, the elapsed time
indicator is wrong, and will correct/change at the moment seeking begins.
The longer the video plays, the large the offset.  Apparently it there is an
interaction with changes made in Handbrake, as I've determined that half my
DVD collection that was ripped with the previous Handbrake version (0.9.4)
with same profile does not have this playback problem.

Sorry for the many words, but I think it boils down to incorrect frame
counting by the Mythvideo playback--I use VDPAU on both a nVidia G210 and
Atom/ION2 systems.  (Didn't think to try playback on the G210 w/o VDPAU, but
I could.)  VLC playback does not exhibit this problem.  I suspect the frame
counting, because I remember seeing another email a while back that
apparently had diagnosed a similar problem in another context, but did not
specifically mention Handbrake rips.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to
find it in searching the mail archive to ask, so I started a new one.

My question to the list: has anyone else seen this, and is it perhaps
already fixed in 0.24?  It's a problem I can live with, and normally I'd
just wait and upgrade to 0.24 and see, but I've been following "random short
pauses" thread and wanted to wait that out.  Any comments would be
appreciated, and it might help others who search the archives.  I find such
references useful for myself.