[mythtv-users] Lirc & Harmony 525 Key repeat problem

john rwc at bestpond.com
Wed Jun 15 04:19:56 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, June 15, 2011 01:16:51 AM Ian Clark wrote:
> On 14 June 2011 10:49, David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I would appreciate any ideas on what I can do to resolve this. Is there
> >> a 'lirc' file that can be adjusted that I may have missed?
> >
> > There is a 'per-button' repeat setting in the .lircrc file
> >
> > http://www.lirc.org/html/configure.html
> >
> > repeat = n
> > tells the program what shall happen if a key is repeated. A value of
> > zero tells the program to ignore repeated keys. Any other positive
> > value 'n' tells the program to pass the config string every 'n'-th
> > time to the according application, when a key is repeated. The default
> > for repeat is zero.
>
> I used to have this set at 3 for the affected keys, it's now set at 5.
>
> This just has the effect of increasing the delay after the initial double
> press.
>
> Eg if I press 'Left' I get 'LeftLeft           Left Left Left'
>
> Increasing this value just puts more space there. :(
>
> > This will only work if your remote commands are being captured by
> > lircd, not if they are being placed directly into the keyboard event
> > buffer.
>
> Hmmm, now that's got me thinking. I had no input at all until I
> compiled the mceusb driver, and before that I'd checked the Xorg log
> file, however I've not checked it since...
>
> I think you might've solved it!! In my xorg log I've got:
>
> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Media Center Ed. eHome
> Infrared Remote Transceiver (0471:0815)" (type: KEYBOARD)
>
> So I've added:
>
> Section "InputClass"
>   Identifier "Ignore Philips mce remote"
>   MatchProduct "Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver
> (0471:0815)" MatchIsKeyboard "true"
>   Option "Ignore" "true"
> EndSection
>
> To my xorg.conf, and now in the logs I see:
>
> (II) config/udev: Adding input device Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared
> Remote Transceiver (0471:0815) (/dev/input/event4)
> (**) Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver (0471:0815):
> Ignoring device from InputClass "Ignore Philips mce remote"

Well after having read, googled, and re-read everything I could find to try and resolve
this remote problem,  for the past week.   I now have a working remote again.

There were a number of suggestions provided in replies to my original post.:

Tim suggested visiting the Logitech harmony software and redusing the key repeat rate
there. I had done that to no avail, and finally i left it at the lowest setting of zero,
yet still not altering behaviour. I then rechecked the hauppage mce remote and had the
same key repeat problem.

Ian noted that the problem may not be entirely a Harmony issue, and as I said above the
hauppage had the same problem and so he was on the money there.

As suggested by Martin I had a look at the conf files and in the lircd.conf.mceusb there
were three remotes (although all different hex codes) I removed the two remotes that were
not used. Still no change.

David's reply triggered Ian's thinking and I followed through what Ian had done to resolve
his problem.

In my case with opensuse 11.4 there was no xorg.conf file on my system only a number of
files under xorg.conf.d . So rather than modify or add to any of those files I created a
new xorg.conf containing the following section, based on Ian's reply above:

Section "InputClass"
  Identifier "Ignore Philips mce remote"  # changed to "Hauppage mce remote"
  MatchProduct "Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver (0471:0815)"  #changed
the reference in brackets as per my log file.
  MatchIsKeyboard "true"
  Option "Ignore" "true"
EndSection

I then restarted the computer, opened MythTV and eureka !!

Both the harmony 525 and the Hauppage mce remote work correctly, no repeating keys !!

I know just need to look at the lircrc file again to make sure I have included all the
jump points and settings I need.

I very much appreciate the advice and assistance given by everyone.

Best wishes,

John

_
John