[mythtv-users] mytharchive and cutlist

Mark mythtv at sladenfamily.com
Tue Jun 14 22:36:17 UTC 2011

I have been having some trouble with cutlist and was hoping updating
from 24 to 24.1 would fix the problem, but it does not seem to have changed.

I have been using mythtv for about half a year and decided to press
it into service to do more.  I have a stack of old VHS tapes that I
wanted to transcribe to disk, and the mytharchive feature looked like
the best option for some of the tapes that did not work in the
all-in-one VHS/DVD machine I have.

I know, I know, mythtv is not really made to do this, and there may
be better ways, but I have come to like the format of the DVDs that
mytharchive produces.

At any rate, my problem is that I want to trim the beginning and the
end of the recorded tape to make the thing fit on a single
disk.  Here is what I did:

Record the tape
View the recording
Hit E to edit the recording
hit the space bar to mark the beginning of the recording
move tho the beginning of the recording that I want to record onto
the DVD and hit space
Move to the end of the recording that I want to record onto the DVD
and hit space
Hit M and cut to end of recording.
Hit escape and save cutlist

Then I exit the viewing of the recording and go to the Archive menu item
I select the recording I was working with
I select C to use the cutlist... this now shows that the recording
fits on the DVD
I select I on the recording to set up thumbnails
The screen shows thumbnails distributed throughtout the recording,
both within and outside the area defined by the cutlist.
I select the first tumbnail and move to the window to select the
location and the system will not let me select within the area
defined by the cutlist.

Diagnostics:
After recording, the recording_markups table has the following items
defined for this recording:
0 11 NULL
0 30 720 (width)
0 31 480 (height)
0 32 29970 ( framerate)

( -- I know, I don't need this resolution for VHS tapes.  I will fix
this before I go into production... I am just trying to get past the
cutlist issue -- )

After editing the cutlist, I get the following additional items:
0 -3 NULL ( MARK_UPDATED_CUT)
1636 0 NULL ( MARK_END)
216985 1 NULL (MARK_START)

Does anyone know how to interpret these?  My interpretation of how it
should work is that the mark at 1636/MARK_END without a MARK_START
before it would imply that the part before frame 1636 should be cut
out, and the mark at 216985/MARK_START without a MARK_END after it
meant to delete from frame 216985 to the end of the recording.  I
have no idea what the MARK_UPDATED_CUT means.

Can anyone provide me with an insight into this?

Thanks
Mark