[mythtv-users] mythbuntu 11.04 lirc mceusb module - how?

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 07:59:24 UTC 2011

I've had a reply from TBS support:

hi Tim,

thank you for all the details. so, what you're experiencing is something
related to part of the information here (about 'ir_core' and 'rc_core'):

http://www.buydvb.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=110&start=90#p2251

that i've just commented in another e-mail:

"what Jarod Wilson told you is correct in general, but there is one big
"but" - we deliberately keep 'ir_core' instead of the new 'rc_core' (as far
as i know Jarod Wilson  is one of the developers of 'rc_core'), because on
our tests with 'rc_core' even on the latest kernels there are constant
crashes of the whole system when the new 'rc_core' is in use and that's why
we kept the old 'ir_core' - for better user-experience. so, when 'rc_core'
reached the necessary stability then we can re-consider to use the new
'rc_core' instead the old 'ir_core'. also, the message you see about
'ir_core' is just a warning and doesn't indicate any error as it might sound
from the Jarod's comment."

so, now the whole dilemma is that if we use the new remote control
infrastructure, which will result in working 'mceusb' for you then using the
'cx23885' remote control results in unstablility of the whole system and
that's what most of our Linux customers use. it seems the only way is
'rc_core' stability with other chips like 'cx23885' to be improved first. i
understand that from different points of view it looks different, but from
our point of view 'rc_core' broke the stability of 'cx23885' remote control
support and that applies not only for TBS hardware, but for all hardware out
there that relies on 'cx23885' driver code and thus it's general regression.

best regards,
constantine

doesnt alot of the hauppauge cards use the cx23885 module? i only have my
TBS card, so cant test with something else that uses cx23885. i guess that
would prove where the problem lays; TBS drivers specifically, or with
cx23885 as a whole...
i've dropped back to mythbuntu 10.10 which is working fine, and im on the
lastest 0.24.1, so i'm currently quite happy were I am. I guess something
will need to be sorted by someone (who?) before myth 0.25 is released, but
that seems to be a while off yet :)