[mythtv-users] Motorola Televation: cable TV + cablecard in, IPTV out

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Jun 14 06:14:13 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Ross Campbell" <ross.campbell at gmail.com>

> The device has an Ethernet jack to plug directly into the home Wi-Fi router
> so the TV show can be wirelessly streamed over IP to any device connected
> to the home network. To keep the programming secure while it is being
> streamed, and to preserve the digital rights associated with the program,
> Televation utilizes Motorola's SecureMedia IPRM-HN technology. IPRM-HN has
> been approved by both CableLabs and the DTLA (Digital Transmission
> Licensing Administrator), giving content owners peace of mind that their
> valuable asset remains safe.

You can read that as "we know that HDCP over HDMI has been broken already,
so we're going to try to transition everyone over to something new that
hasn't (yet--though we *still* weren't bright enough to get the encryption
right on this one), while making everyone *think* we're trying to be nice
to them".

That said, this is moving over IP, so I don't even expect it to last as
long as HDCP did, since you don't need special hardware to MITM it.

Cheers,
-- jra