[mythtv-users] Commercial Detection accuracy in Australia?

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Mon Jun 13 22:08:20 UTC 2011

On 13/06/11 03:33, Another Sillyname wrote:
> Using Versions .23 and .24 how good is the commercial detection in Oz on FTA?
>
> Are there particular channels that are better then others?
>
> I seem to remember reading on the lists in the past that broadcast
> standards/quality are slightly different depending in which city
> you're in, is this still the case?  Is DVB quality now standarised and
> implemented to that standard nationwide?

As I haven't lived in every Australian DVB transmission area, I can only
answer from my own area.  You can probably find out this standardisation
information with a few strategic googles.  AFAICT the guv'mnt lets the
providers transmit however they want. The ABC for example, added extra
channels, but seriously dropped the quality (bitrate) to accommodate it.

Anyway...

I generally record SBS (interruption advertising) and ABC (between
programmes).   I only auto-flag ads on SBS recordings.

I'm using Myth 0.23

Most programmes I record the ads are flagged 95% correctly.  Occasionally
there are programmes which have black frames in the video stream (notably
"The Hairy Bikers Food Tour of Britain") which are not before advertising,
and myth gets hung-up on these - not every time, but occasionally.

cheers,
-kt