[mythtv-users] OT-ish: decoding encrypted channels

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Mon Jun 13 11:51:02 UTC 2011

On 13 Jun 2011, at 12:22, Tim Draper wrote:

> firstly, all i *know* on this subject is that i need a decoder card. thats it :)
>
> what i'd like todo is be able to get the encrypted channels on FreeSAT (not many, but theirs a few), and also pay the provider for pay-per-view like eurosport for yearly sport events (eg: Le Mans 24h)
> i am on the belief that i am able todo this by buying a decoder card, a CAM interface module and then parting with cash with the provider to allow me to watch that program.

All depends on the provider, some are enlightened and CAM friendly, some are most certainly CAM hostile.

MythTV will just work with a lot of DVBS cards that have a CI CAM slot a CAM and card, see linux TV wiki & Myth wiki for details.

> are my thoughts correct?
>
> if it makes any different, I get 'freesat from sky', and am in the UK.

Sky UK are among the most CAM hostile providers in the world, there is no legitimate, supported way to get Sky UK directly into MythTV or any other PC PVR software for that matter. you could rig up something with a Sky box analog out and an encoder card but read a few of the threads here about that before you get into that approach, IMO far too complicated, trouble prone and at best picture quality will be questionable.

There is some pressure in Germany and Sky Germany are offering a CAM for some of their services but it's a CI+ CAM and as such is never likely to ever be allowed to work in a MythTV system. Sky Germany are a different company (Sky bought out Premiere) but there is some unification in services going on it's possible technically that the CAM they release could work with Sky UK but it's most likely to be locked to the German cards.