[mythtv-users] OT: HTPC Cases - Touch screens et al.

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Fri Jun 10 18:49:50 UTC 2011

On 6/9/2011 8:10 AM, Andrew Stadt wrote:
> For the past couple of years my Zotac ION has been happily hiding inside
> of picture frame on my wall beside my TV.  In a little while I'm planing
> on redoing my livingroom, and am probably going to have to move it into
> a more traditional case (also thinking of replacing the ION with
> something with a little more guts while I'm at it).
>
> I was looking at several 'HTPC' cases - and while I'm probably going to
> go for a simpler case and add either the iMon VFD
> (http://www.soundgraph.com/vfd-feature-en/) or iMon Ultrabay
> (http://www.soundgraph.com/ultrabay-feature-en/) as either of these
> products adds most of the functionality I want, I was wondering if
> anyone had any experience with some of these cases with the built-in
> touch screens?  e.g.:
> Thermaltake DH102:
> http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1319&ID=1425
> <http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1319&ID=1425>
> Moneual 932LB:
> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811280027
>
> The eye-candy factor is nice, but do we have any real functionality
> added by these?  I don't really see the use of a touch screen when I
> have a remote except for (maybe) when I'm just playing music and don't
> bother turning the main TV on.
>
> I've seen online articles about how to get these working under linux,
> but so far I haven't seen any screenshots on what they've actually
> managed to display.

I have an iMON display... and I've had to dig in to get it working. No fun.

I also just built a new machine and got a display from CrystalFontz.com

They support Linux. (in fact, you can see the happiness and joy on the lcdproc webpage as CF eagerly sends
product to the lcdproc guys to get updates into lcdproc.)

The VFD does look nice (iMon) but you can easily add one yourself via all the info on LCDproc's site without the iMon hassles.

  -Ben

--
Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.
Home: ben at benjammin.net                       http://www.benjammin.net