[mythtv-users] OpenGL render problems with radeon and 0.24.1

John King jmking1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 16:44:25 UTC 2011

I'm having problems with myth playback using the OpenGL renderer and
the radeon Xorg driver.  Basically it looks like the mythtv video
playback is displaying one frame, but then a stale buffer is displayed
the next frame.  I uploaded a YouTube video of what's going on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM824VcdMDs

Audio is fine, and it appears that the framerate is fine too.

I have the MythTV GUI painter set up to use OpenGL, and it looks like
a stale GUI background image is being displayed on the alternate (i.e.
non-video) frames.  And then when the video finishes playing, the GUI
is messed up too - it seems as though the stale buffer is sometimes
showing up there.  But the problem still happens even if I switch the
GUI painter back to Qt.  In that case I get a mostly black stale frame
with the text "Please Wait..." on it - which is what gets displayed
just before the video starts.

Is this some sort of OpenGL page flip problem?

Also on a hunch, I disabled the Xorg Composite extension (both in the
"Extensions" section in xorg.conf as well as setting ExaNoComposite
"false"), but that didn't help.

Setup details:

Debian Unstable
Radeon 3300 integrated graphics
No deinterlace filters
Using Xorg radeon driver (not fglrx)
metacity window manager - not compiz, no desktop effects enabled but I
used to run compiz so maybe there's something still going on there?
MythTV 0.24.1 from debian-multimedia packages - but I am willing/able
to download and compile myth from source if necessary

I couldn't find any info searching the wiki or the list
archives, but hopefully this is something that other people have run
into.  I haven't tried fglrx (and don't want to switch).  Playback
using XV is fine.  I will paste xorg.conf, glxinfo, and mythfrontend
-v playback output in another post (message size limits are getting me
on this first one).

Thanks,
John