[mythtv-users] 3D interlacer?

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Jun 8 11:14:22 UTC 2011

On 8 Jun 2011, at 11:50, Paul Gardiner wrote:

> On 08/06/2011 11:00, Andre wrote:
>> Side by side is the only stereo vision standard that has any hope of working with current 3DTVs and receivers, they would be mad to try anything else at this time. Look how much trouble there was (still is for many) just switching to a supposedly fully supported DVBS2 modulation! With side by side, lousy quality as it is it will instantly work with all those Sky 3D customers, both of them ;-)
>
> So do non-3D decoders know to zoom in to one side.

Nope, side by side is a bodge to pack a 3D stereo transmission into an ordinary 1080i channel, non 3DTV's just see two squashed side by side images.

Looks like the image here on a normal TV:

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2011/06/07/wimbledon-to-be-first-bbc-3d-broadcast/

I understand that they will transmit regular 1080i HD on BBC One HD and 3D on BBC HD, ITV & Ch4 may be reduced to a slideshow on Freeview HD...

> Will MythTv get this
> right. I guess the quality wont be great in any case.

True, when side by side is decoded you get two 960x544 images, assuming sports with interlaced motion, sounds a lot like reasonable SD resolution to me :-P If the BBC don't upgrade to 1920 horizontal it will be 720x544, ooh look SD, actually that's better than SD as it's equivalent to progressive SD resolutions.

Oh and the bitrate has to quite high for side by side because the encoder doesn't know it's transmitting stereo images so there's little benefit gained from transmitting two nearly identical images. If the bitrate is too low, (too much compression) the 3D effect can suffer greatly, different artefacts in each eye makes them much more noticeable!

I suspect there will be much wailing and gnashing if the Beeb upgrade BBC HD to 1920x1080 at 20+Mb/s for the 3D tennis then downgrade back to where we are now afterwards.

I'll be recording both and trying some of the stereovision players around, I have some Federation Cup stereo tennis from a year or two ago (on 19E) and that was pretty dire, one static camera angle, fuzzy pic quality, hopefully Wimbledon will be better. I also hope that they will be covering a few matches before the final, usually 3D is only good after two or three days of tweaking for the venue and the specific sport.

Andre