[mythtv-users] Defragging XFS File Systems

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Mon Jun 6 22:52:19 UTC 2011

On 06/06/11 23:03, Kenneth Emerson wrote:
> I hadn't given much thought to fragmentation of my recordings volume
> (XFS) until reading through some other threads recently that mentioned
> how fragmented and XFS file system could become.  After running xfs_db,
> I found out that my fs appeared to be quite bad:
>
> $ sudo xfs_db -c frag -r /dev/mapper/appl_vg-appl_lv
>   actual 1138668, ideal 11023, fragmentation factor 99.03%
>
> I then ran xfs_fsr with all defaults (ran for two hours) and then re-ran
> xfs_db and got the following results:
>
> $ sudo xfs_db -c frag -r /dev/mapper/appl_vg-appl_lv
> invalid numrecs (27111) in bmapbtd block
> invalid numrecs (4716) in bmapbtd block
> invalid numrecs (58978) in bmapbtd block
> actual 1034793, ideal 11024, fragmentation factor 98.93%
>
> The fragmentation level was reduced, but I was concerned about the error
> messages.  Before I go any further, am I corrupting my file system with
> the defragging or are these "invalid numrecs" messages unimportant?  I
> am hoping that there are other MythTV users using XFS that have some
> experience in using the xfs tools.
I've never used xfs_db, but used filefrag to determin fragmentation.
I don't know about the 'invalid' messages.
The default duration for xf_fsr is 7200 sec. So after that time your
fragmentation only decreased by approx. 9%. So it lookslike you do have
an awfull lot of files, or an almost filled-up drive that it takes that
awfull lot of time.