[mythtv-users] I need to specify which channels are recordable by which dvb-s2 card

Emmanuel eallaud at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 17:56:27 UTC 2011

On 29/05/2011 10:18, Andre wrote:
> On 29 May 2011, at 14:09, Emmanuel wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I have a problem to schedule my recordings: I have only on sat with 5
>> TPs, 4 of which can be recorded by my 2 dvb-s2 cards, but one which can
>> only be recorded by one of my card (it has a very high symbol rate of
>> 45Ms/s which is unusual for dvb-S2 and the "old" cant tune to it).
> I'm guessing you are the Manu who has been trying to find a high symbol rate DVBS2 card for some time?
>
> Which one works???
>
> I'm sure there will be many more wide transponder high rate muxes in the coming years as existing satellites are replaced.
>

>> So I want to be able to tell the scheduler to schedule the problematic
>> TP only to the new card. One more information: I only have one source
>> and each card has a lnb input, so they can tune to different TPs at the
>> same time.
> This is the same problem as having a mixture of DVBS&  DVBS2 cards as I have.
>
> You need two sources, one with all channels from the ordinary card (delete the high rate muxes if they are detected) and another with all the channels including the high rate mux ones. You link the reduced channels source to the ordinary card(s) and the second complete source to the high rate capable card(s).
>
> You should add the cards in order starting with the least capable and adding the more capable high rate card(s) last. This way when programmes are scheduled the less capable card is used if it can be and the low rate card is skipped over if high rate mux channels are needed. This reduces the chance of the high rate card being busy with a low rate channel when a high rate channel is wanted.
>
> Provided you have the same callsigns/names for the channels in both sources (which you will from a straightforward myth scan) they will schedule shows on either card but not both. The listings pages will just show listings for the lowest channel number that matches the channel callsign/name.
>
> I would create the source for the low rate only card first and scan, then create the source for the high rate capable card and scan, that way the best utilisation of cards will happen automatically.
>
> Here is a thread about the best way of deleting and re-creating cards&  sources.
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/260095#260095
>
> Andre

So I am back with more questions: first I did as you say, so now I have
two sources (1 and 2) I did the scan for both so I have most channels
twice, and the HD channels are not duplicated as they only work with one
source, n°2. BUT I put all duplicated (for source N°2) as not visible to
not clutter my epg, but I still need to run my grabber for both sources
or just the second one is OK? Because now when it downloads the epg it
creates alot of duplicated channels (same callsign and xmltvid but
sometimes different id) which have no serviceid, so some shows dont get
recorded because of this.
Could you tell me how to avoid this. The only other way I see to correct
this would be to put all channels from the least capable card as
invisible, and check only the source n°2 (from the card which can see
all channels). Would that do it?
TIA
Bye
Manu