[mythtv-users] Closed Captions: A reason to upgrade?

Alex Halovanic halovanic at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 14:04:02 UTC 2011

I doubt an upgrade will help with your closed caption issues.  I'm on 0.25
and was on 0.24 a month ago.  I've completed three phases of the WOW digital
transition in my area and am noticing the following:

1) Most digital channels have some kind of information coming over the old
EIA-608 captions, only the local HD channels consistently have EAI-708.
I've seen at least one example of the new digital channels having EAI-708
(showed up on Animal Planet for me just now) but this appears to be the
minority.

2) All of the EAI-608 captions from digital stations are coming out with
either gibberish or a stutter.  For example the words "UNPRECEDENTED
DECLINE. PEOPLE ARE VERY" display as "UUNPNPRERECECEDEDENTNTEDED
DEDECLCLININE.E. PEPEOPOPLELE A ARERE V VERERYY".  I haven't tried hooking
the signal directly up to my TV to confirm that this isn't a problem in
Myth.

3) There seem to be some other minor regressions to closed captioning in
0.24 and beyond.  For example, I used to be able to see line 21 closed
captions on my DVD rips (not the same as DVD subtitles).  These don't show
up anymore in the menus.  I think this was something related to automatic
finding of captions, but I haven't had time to track this one down.

-Alex