[mythtv-users] OT: Could someone help me to set up an Ad-Hoc wifi connection??

Frank Phillips frankalso at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 01:31:48 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Damian <myth at surr.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi everone,
>
> Sorry for the off topic post, but you lot are the best Linux resource I
> know.
>
> I'm trying to set up AdHoc wifi from my MythTV machine so that I can
> connect my mobile phone to the internet.
>
> My house has several machines, but no wifi. All connected with LAN cable
> hubs and switches.
>
> I bought a "LogicPro 802.11g High Speed Linux / Ubuntu Wireless Internet
> USB Adapter Wifi Dongle"
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ef=oss_product
> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003YURCG8/ref=oss_product>
>
> I have tried plugging it in and following AdHoc ubuntu guides online,
> but it's not working.
>
> My feeling is that that whatever driver gets 'auto detected' and used
> can use the wifi dongle 'normally', but can not put it into AdHoc mode.
>
> Right. The driver is called rtl8187.

There's a file on the disk that comes with the dongle called
> "rtl8187B_linux_24.6.1025.tar.gz", but I have no idea what to do with
> that. I was thinking of trying to set it up assuming it's a Linux
> driver, but just read somewhere that if you try to load a driver when
> another driver is already in place then you can get lock up problems etc.

It's a Linux binary driver. Vendors sometimes include them when there isn't
proper kernel support. This product predates the native driver, so this is
why they included the binary driver on disk. It's no guarantee that it will
support adhoc.

> Can I get an Ad-hoc wifi network with this dongle?
>
> Would installing the supplied "rtl8187B_linux_24.6.1025.tar.gz" driver
> give better results? If so, can anyone talk me though doing that? Do I
> need to turn off the current driver somehow first?
>
> Thanks
> Damian

Start by unpacking: tar xzvf rtl8187B_linux_24.6.1025.tar.gz
Then follow the README.

A second option is to use ndiswrapper and the Windows driver. There is a
walkthrough here:
http://www.a110wiki.de/wiki/Wireless