[mythtv-users] OT: Buying a new TV - Sharp Quattron or 3D?

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Fri Jun 3 22:04:44 UTC 2011

On 04/06/11 07:41, Ben Kamen wrote:

> As I've said before about HD, I really don't care about HD since a TV show's story is what makes me watch it -- not how many freckles I can count on an actresses cheek from 10ft away.
>
> I recently stopped at BestBuy for a wall mount LCD bracket and walked past some of the blue-ray demos that were playing one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. The detail was so amazing, I was almost grossed out by the close-ups of just about all the pirate actors. (So much for makeup!)
>
> When counting freckles turns into counting blackheads... yea.. I'll pass. Technology (and BlueRay) is not doing Hollywood stars any favors.

For the most part I agree with you.

But I'm a sucker for high-quality computer-generated animation in HD.
I still get a kick out of seeing individual hairs in fur etc., maybe I spent
too long studying computer graphics textbooks  ;)
Something like "Rattatoullie" comes to mind...
http://www.themoviedb.org/movie/2062

For images of humans, yeah, full-HD is probably overkill.

cheers,
-kt