[mythtv-users] Dell Optiplex 755 as Front End?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 21:03:56 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Douglas Wagner <douglasw0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> All:
>
> Looking for a fast answer:  Anyone out there using a Dell Optiplex 755 as a
> front end for HD OTA TV/Recordings?  I know the CPU should work (Dual Core
> 2.33Ghz) and memory/etc isn't a problem, but i'm worried about the DVI
> Output/Built in Intel Chipset (Intel Q35 Express).
>
> It's a supported chip under Ubuntu (Running it at work) but I don't know
> what kind of performance it'll get running HD over Network from a backend?

My home PC is an Optiplex 745 with a C2D 2.4GHZ. It has a GeForce card, but
when using the Windows port of the Myth FE, it renders using the CPU only. I
find that it's just barely enough to render H.264 recordings from my HD-PVR.
It will work, but can get choppy once in a while and makes the box useless
to use as a PC at the same time (which might not be of concern to you).

I believe you'd be doing CPU rendering with that chipset but somebody
correct me if I'm wrong. I also don't know if there's more special sauce in
Linux vs. Windows as far as CPU optimizations go.

 The rest of the machine is solid, you could always put a GT430 in there for
around $60 if performance isn't quite what you need, although check to see
if you need a low-profile card, which I did.