[mythtv-users] BBC HD mux switching to DVBS2

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Fri Jun 3 13:10:13 UTC 2011

On 3 Jun 2011, at 14:00, Another Sillyname wrote:

> On 03/06/2011, Alasdair Macdonald <wewalkforonereason at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here's the blog item:
>>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2011/06/changes_to_bbc_hd_channels_on.html
>>
>> and the key technical data:
>>
>> Satellite: Astra 2D tp.50
>> Frequency: 10,847MHz (vertical polarity)
>> Modulation: DVB-S2, QPSK
>> Symbol Rate: 23.0
>> FEC: 8/9

>>> Er no...

>>> Oops, sorry, my mistake, should have just linked to a news blog somewhere!
>>>
>>> Try 6th June, this weekend.
>>
> So is this a frequency change and a DVB-S2 change?
>
> The thread title inferred it was just a DVB-S2 change.

No frequency change, there could be some subtle center frequency change depending on what the muxes either side are carrying but nominally it's been 10847Mhz for as long as I know of.

> If it's a frequency change as well please ignore my previous posting.

I'm concerned that the FEC is changing too, just changing the DVBS/DVBS2 property may not be enough, maybe changing the modulation will be enough to be able to select the mux for solo retuning which does work fine.

Odd that they are not switching to 8PSK, they are not really "making best use of this scarce resource", I guess the rumours about some significantly sold Sky HD or Freesat HD box not working with 8PSK must be true, maybe it's the old Thompson Sky HD boxes that they are actively replacing right now.