[mythtv-users] BBC HD mux switching to DVBS2

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Fri Jun 3 12:23:25 UTC 2011

On 3 Jun 2011, at 13:12, Robert Longbottom wrote:

> On 3 Jun 2011, at 10:48 AM, Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> It's been covered on loads of the boards & news sites but just in case someone here didn't know:
>>
>> The UK BBC mux used for BBC One HD, BBC HD and ITV HD is switching modulation to DVBS2 on the 6th April.
>>
>> Bad news for anyone receiving HD on a DVBS card, there will only be ITV HD variants and NHK World HD receivable with DVBS cards after the 6th.
>>
>> Whether this will mean greater capacity for an additional channel or better quality for existing ones remains to be seen. It has been said that this co-incides with Freeview HD's coverage review, which may permit the full 40.5Mb/s to be used for quality improvements to Freeview HD, with a politically correct improvement on Freesat to match?
>>
>> Andre
>
> Thanks for the info - I for one didn't know.
>
> Does this mean that we'll have to rescan?  Or will myth work it out somehow and switch automatically?

Definitely a re-scan, have to do the whole lot too, I try to scan just the mux that changed but as the modulation type has changed, the DVBS2 mux editor is broken (soon to be replaced) and you can no longer scan just one frequency without initiating a full re-scan in the channel editor, also soon to be replaced. This all means I'll need to allocate a couple of hours to scanning and cleaning up afterwards. Fortunately I don't want that many channels so easier to make everything invisible and only enable the 30' odd channels I actually want.

> Fortunately I moved to a dvbs2 card a few months ago - a mystique satix s2 dual, which has been working well using the one of the ngene test branches from Linux dvb

Yeah, me too, although I have a Nova HD S2 as well, seems to work well now.

Andre