[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: ATI Remote Wonder with Fedora 15

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 13:21:12 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Jun 1, 2011, at 5:25 PM, John Welch wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I guess this is only partially MythTV-related, but I'm hoping someone
>> here (like Jarod) may be able to help.
>>
>> Over this past weekend I upgraded one of my workstations, which serves
>> part-time as a Myth front-end, from Fedora 14 to Fedora 15.
>> Everything went smoothly with the upgrade (using 'preupgrade'), and so
>> far everything is working fine, except my ATI Remote Wonder remote
>> control.  For as long as I can remember this remote has always worked
>> using the 'lirc_atiusb' kernel module.  However, it appears that with
>> the new kernel (2.6.38) that came with the F14 to F15 upgrade this
>> module is no longer around.
>
> Um... That module hasn't been in the Fedora kernels for *years*. You
> may have been getting it from elsewhere though, I suppose.
>
>> I *think* I have to revert to using the
>> "built-in" 'ati_remote' module,
>
> Correct. (Well, there's also the atilibusb route...)
>
>> which previously had to be blacklisted
>> in order to avoid conflicts with the 'lirc_atiusb' module, but I have
>> no idea how to properly do this, specifically for use with MythTV.
>> All the Linux and Myth-related documentation I've found, so far at
>> least, discusses using this remote via LIRC.
>>
>> I have the 'ati_remote' module loaded and a few of the keys (arrows)
>> work OK in Myth, but that appears to be about it.  No /dev/lirc*
>> device was created when the module was loaded, so do I have to
>> manually create a device and then load LIRC, or is LIRC out of the
>> picture?  I don't have LIRC running now, and like I said, at least the
>> arrow keys work, so *something* is catching and interpreting these key
>> presses.
>
> The ati_remote driver is a native Linux input layer driver. It passes along
> key events just like a keyboard.
>

>> I'm guessing there must be a configuration file somewhere.
>
> Sort of. The key mapping is in the kernel. But you can use lircd's devinput
> userspace driver to connect to the /dev/input/eventX device exposed by the
> ati_remote driver, paired with lircd.conf.devinput provided by lirc, then
> remap them as you please.
>
> --
> Jarod Wilson
> jarod at wilsonet.com

Thanks for the response Jarod.  I don't recall having to do anything
special for quite some time to get this remote working, and I've
always (several version of Fedora at least) used the 'lirc_atiusb'
module and blacklisted the 'ati_remote' module.  I guess I just
assumed it was coming from the Fedora kernel or lirc packages.  I do
use ATrpms for MythTV and other packages, so I guess it's possible it
came from there.  I don't see anything in the ATrpms repos related to
LIRC though.

I'll check with Axel to see if the 'lirc_atiusb' module is something
that he has provided in the past and may be able to package for F15.
Failing that, I'll work on the 'ati_remote' method.

Thanks again,
John