[mythtv-users] Mything thomething

mythtv . mythtv at harley-jones.co.uk
Thu Jun 2 09:38:19 UTC 2011

On 1 June 2011 16:51, Blammo <blammo.doh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Honestly, as a new user to Myth, by rolling all your own stuff to
> start,  you are making it harder than it needs to be.
>
> Myth itself isn't "that" bad. Admittedly, if you are outside the
> HDHomeRun/Nvidia/VDPAU Frontend, you can invite some extra pain in
> your myth process.
>
> Have you tried MythDora, or KnoppMyth, or MythBuntu? Not only does
> that remove a lot of the underlying "OS" level pain, but most of those
> distros have extra setup web/CLI options to help you get up and
> running.
>
> Using a "pre-rolled" on hardware I know to work well with Myth, I can
> have a blank machine up and scheduling/recording/playback/etc in less
> than 1 hour. I suspect quite a few on the list can do it faster than
> that.

I would have to agree. I have 2 systems running now and the primary system
has been running for well over a year. I run Mythbuntu on an Acer Aspire
Revo. The whole thing started as a tinkering project having bought a Revo
preinstalled with Windows such that I could fall back to using it as a PC if
all failed. I run two twin USB Haupauge tuner sticks and a Sony PS3 remote
with no need for the keyboard/mouse. Mythbuntu itself just installed and
worked but I wanted XBMC also. To be fair XBMC installed and worked
flawlessly too. The only issues I did have was getting the remote to work
consistently with both (incl irexec to allow switching between mythfrontend
and xbmc). It does work I documented it and when I bought a second Revo for
a remote frontend I had the whole lot up and running in half an hour or so.

My feelings on Myth....well actually having had a Topfield PVr in the past
and liked it I have probably had to reboot my myhtbox less times than the
commercially bought Topfield. To be fair to Mythtv also I dont believe its
Mythtv at fault but the lirc/bluetooth as it has only been needed
occasionally (and we are taking counting on one hand here with no thumbs
included) when the batteries in the remote have died.

My reasons for trying Mythtv were simply I wanted the keyword search
facility I had become used to in my Topfield. I find MythTV easier to
configure via mythweb (far easier to type in search phrases), I can program
remotely, I love the jump back feature when you are fastforwarding....it
works perfectly for my reaction times! I can easily download recordings to
my PC in a standard format etc etc

In terms of useability, well the other half loves it and prefers it to
normal PVRs and navigates it flawlessly and is quite at home with it and she
hasnt the first clue about Linux etc

Well done devs!

Martin