[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: ATI Remote Wonder with Fedora 15

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 21:25:05 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I guess this is only partially MythTV-related, but I'm hoping someone
here (like Jarod) may be able to help.

Over this past weekend I upgraded one of my workstations, which serves
part-time as a Myth front-end, from Fedora 14 to Fedora 15.
Everything went smoothly with the upgrade (using 'preupgrade'), and so
far everything is working fine, except my ATI Remote Wonder remote
control.  For as long as I can remember this remote has always worked
using the 'lirc_atiusb' kernel module.  However, it appears that with
the new kernel (2.6.38) that came with the F14 to F15 upgrade this
module is no longer around.  I *think* I have to revert to using the
"built-in" 'ati_remote' module, which previously had to be blacklisted
in order to avoid conflicts with the 'lirc_atiusb' module, but I have
no idea how to properly do this, specifically for use with MythTV.
All the Linux and Myth-related documentation I've found, so far at
least, discusses using this remote via LIRC.

I have the 'ati_remote' module loaded and a few of the keys (arrows)
work OK in Myth, but that appears to be about it.  No /dev/lirc*
device was created when the module was loaded, so do I have to
manually create a device and then load LIRC, or is LIRC out of the
picture?  I don't have LIRC running now, and like I said, at least the
arrow keys work, so *something* is catching and interpreting these key
presses.  I'm guessing there must be a configuration file somewhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
John