[mythtv-users] Backend setup for win-hvr-950Q

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Jul 30 17:02:05 UTC 2011

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 08:31:55 -0400, Barry Fawthrop
<barry at trumpetsoftruth.com> wrote:
> On 07/30/2011 12:51 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> On 7/29/2011 23:33, Barry Fawthrop wrote:
>
>>> tvtime works right out of the box (so to speak)
>> What I have been directing you to configure is the digital side of that

>> tuner, and if you just use that side and ignore the analog 'support'
>> entirely, it will work great. Cable providers will rebroadcast the
>> local stations unencrypted in a manner that card can record. They may
>> offer more unencrypted, but that varies from region to region. Silicon
>> Dust offers a database of expected clear QAM channel lineups,
>> search-able by zip code.
>
>   Thanks for all the information and yes the analog - digital does make
> sense.
>  I must say that they explanation was very clear.
>  So what do I need to change to move forward ?

Mark Lord indicated elsewhere in this thread of some driver issues that
may need to be resolved to get the 950Q functioning properly.

Besides that, the general procedure to getting an ATSC/QAM tuner installed
is...

=== section 2 ===
1. Add tuner as a "DVB DTV capture card (v3.x)" type
2. Configure the number of simultaneous recordings you want to allow that
tuner to perform.

=== section 3 ===
3. Add a source (unless you have an existing configured one you want to
use)
4. Give MythTV your Schedules Direct login and password, it will allow you
to select what lineup you want to use

=== section 4 ===
5. Map the tuner input on your digital card to the source you just
created.
6. Scan for channels
---- for digital cable, you want the cable channel table (not high, hrc,
or irc) and QAM-256 modulation
---- for broadcast, you want the broadcast table and 8VSB modulation

7. Close mythtv-setup, and run mythfilldatabase. It will attempt to match
up the guide data as best it can to the scanned channel names.
8. Run mythbackend, and then mythfrontend.  Go into "Watch TV", and figure
out what the channels are that were not populated with guide data
9. Go into the channel editor in mythtv-setup, or mythweb, and supply the
XMLTV IDs for those channels that don't have one.  You can find the XMLTV
ID by mousing over a channel on the in your lineup on the Schedules Direct
website.