[mythtv-users] 0.24 TV, Recordings and Videos are black screen with sound

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Sat Jul 30 10:18:27 UTC 2011

2010/12/21 Martin Goulet <mgoulet at chicagogsb.edu>:
> I have bee struggling to fix this and can't find a solution in the
> archives.  Here is my situation:
>
> I have a Zotac IONITX-C-U, and have been successfully running it as a
> frontend only on 0.23 and then 0.24.  Recently, and I can't for the life
> of me figure out what I changed, I started getting no video (actually a
> black screen) during LiveTV, Recordings, and Video (Internal Player).
> Audio i just fine.
>
> I tried testing everything I could think of.  I reinstalled from the
> ground up (Fresh Fedora 13 install etc.) I got MythTV installed, did NOT
> install kmod-nvidia-PAE, and ran under Slim profile.  I got sound and
> video (albeit very slow and choppy).  I then installed the nvidia
> drivers (I use rpmfusion repos).  Now I am back to NO video no matter
> which profile I use.
>
> Just to test my VDPAU / drivers combo I play any of my videos with
> mplayer -vo vdpau, and they play just fine, so VDPAU and the nvidia
> drivers appear to be working.
>
> I have to imagine I am missing something stupid and / or simple, but I
> can't think of what.  I tried the "Composite" "Disable" solution
> suggested by some in the archives to no avail.

Hi Martin

Did you be chance ever identify the issue? My main frontend started
doing the same thing yesterday - apparently also without a reason.
It's also a Zotac IONITX (A-E) but with Mythbuntu 11.04. I've never
seen the issue before, everything worked earlier in the day when I
suspended the system into S3 mode and left it. In the evening I woke
up the system, started live TV and got a black screen instead of the
video, but with sound, OSD and subtitles working fine. No software
updates has been accepted on the system for 1-2 weeks, so updated
drivers/Xorg/MythTV shouldn't be the cause - the system has also been
powered off multiple times during this week. Changing to a non-VDPAU
profile gets the picture back, but changing back to any of the
VDPAU-profiles bring back the issue. The issue remains after a hard
reset and after leaving the system overnight with no power supply
connected.

I found a setting in the BIOS called something like "Initialize VGA
BIOS when resuming from S3 mode", but it didn't make a difference.
Neither did disabling/enabling compositing in Xorg.

I haven't tried reinstalling the system yet, but that will probably be
the next step...it would however be nice to identify the issue.

Thanks,
Kenni