[mythtv-users] Ceton InfiniTV 4 and patches to support it

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 13:44:31 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Ken Truesdale <kat at tiac.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net>
> wrote:
> > 2) Make sure your card is seated properly into the PCIe slot. Ken's
> > post earlier about his card not being seated reminded me that I had a
> > similar problem with mine.
>

> On Jul 28, 2011, at 9:40 PM, Scott Stancil wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately I've already tried all
> that.  I did have problems with the first PCIe slot I tried (the computer
> locked up randomly), but it seems stable in the second one (and this is the
> one where it worked that one time).
>

> Good to know I'm not alone on the issue of card seating problems.  For
> anyone else reading about Ceton cards, then:
>
> I'm used to cards thunking into place but the Ceton just kind of eases in.
>  And out.  The only thing that holds it in place is back plate clamp/screw.
>  I think my mobo is slightly angled away from the back panel so that when
> you tighten the clamp on the back plates, it pulls the cards slightly out at
> the far end of the connector.  For my x16 video card, not a problem because
> it is the normal tight fit and because with all the extra connectors,
> there's not as much play.  But with the short connector tab on the x1 and
> the looser fit, clamping the back down actually pulled the card out
> somewhat.
>
> I experienced the card not working but that may be because it was already
> far enough out one time.  Another time, when I went to check the tightness
> of the coax adapter dongle thingy, the whole system froze, apparently
> because that was enough to jostle the card out of place.
>
> I've solved it for now by bending the back plate on the Ceton card slightly
> so that the clamp doesn't pull the card away - there's just a gap where the
> card's back plate is supposed to be nearly flush with the computer chassis.
>

> Ken.

Although I did not have any problems yet, I was disturbed by how loosely the
card sat in the slot.  The card actually didn't completely sit flush against
the case backplate.  I was still able to secure it with a screw, but just
barely.  The card may have slightly lifted in doing so.  I may try a slight
bend in the card backplate to get everything secure.

-Tom