[mythtv-users] Big Myth system (2-3 satellite receivers + capture devices, 5 tvs, Samsung DLNA) ?

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Fri Jul 29 08:56:47 UTC 2011

On 28 Jul 2011, at 20:43, Eric Sharkey wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
>> Going back on topic, don't completely dismiss DLNA, it's a very neat solution and with the right TV can give excellent results.
>
> With a DLNA solution, you can't schedule new recordings, browse
> upcoming recordings, have no access to commercial skip, or timestretch
> or many other standard mythfrontend features.  I call that less than
> excellent.

I used nothing but DLNA for a few years, didn't miss any of those features, I would have missed the picture quality my PS3 delivered, back then mythfrontend wasn't capable of playing HD at acceptable to me image quality. I'd go back to the PS3 now if it would play BBC HD streams, I wouldn't miss the playback stutter that mythfrontend currently delivers! I have a couple of friends who use Myth purely for the backend, they don't feel they are missing anything important.

As to scheduling, browsing etc. I find the mythfrontend very clunky (more an issue of the remote and TV limitations than any UI failure) and use mythweb almost exclusively for recordings management, it works very nicely on a tablet and also you can browse what to watch next, schedule shows mentioned during programming without interrupting the current playback.

If the Samsung TVs have web capability Samsung Smart TV etc. then mythweb might be suitable to fill in for what DLNA can't provide. Might be interesting to develop a Smart TV app for Myth TV, from what I've seen something could probably be done with the myth web frameworks being worked on right now.

The OP was talking about a house wide system so having a mixture of mythfrontends and DLNA might be appropriate for them.

Andre