[mythtv-users] Help - Lirc broken after upgrade to 0.9.0

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Jul 28 21:32:17 UTC 2011

On Jul 27, 2011, at 6:03 PM, Marc Tousignant wrote:
> Its not an lirc thing, its a Gentoo thing.
>

>>> Running the lirc daemon by hand, the messages were
>>> lircd(devinput) ready, using /var/run/lirc/lircd accepted new client
>>> on /var/run/lirc/lircd initializing /dev/lirc0 can't get exclusive
>>> access to events coming from the '/dev/lirc0' interface
>>
>> I should have been more clear.  You need to first shut down any other
>> instance of lirc that might be running.  lircd should use the default
>> driver, not devinput.
>
> If tx is required, yes, you have to use the "default" driver, accessing
> /dev/lirc0.

> I just went through this myself on Gentoo.
> Lirc 0.9.0 has no mceusb anymore so you build the one from the kernel.
> However, assuming that all you need is the mceusb driver is wrong.

Depends on what you're trying to do.

> Below you will find all the other kernel items I included as modules or a
> part of my kernel (Gentoo sources 3.0.0).
>
> CONFIG_RC_CORE=m
> CONFIG_LIRC=m
> CONFIG_RC_MAP=m
> CONFIG_IR_RC5_DECODER=m
> CONFIG_IR_RC6_DECODER=m
> CONFIG_IR_RC5_SZ_DECODER=m
> CONFIG_IR_LIRC_CODEC=m
> CONFIG_IR_ENE=m
> CONFIG_IR_MCEUSB=m
>
> CONFIG_STAGING=y
> CONFIG_LIRC_STAGING=y

These last two are completely and totally unnecessary for mceusb, even
in classic lirc mode. CONFIG_LIRC and CONFIG_IR_LIRC_CODEC handle all
of that, the last two are only to build lirc_foo device-specific drivers,
for things like lirc_serial. And CONFIG_IR_ENE is for a LPC integrated
IR receiver device (PNP id ENE0100 and friends), it has nothing to do
with mceusb. The various _DECODER bits aren't needed either if you're
doing decode in userspace with lircd.

> Yet there was still something missing, because I could load the driver, but
> lircd would not connect to anything.
> The solution for me was
> LIRC_DEVICES="userspace"

That's a gentoo thing. Binary distributions build lirc with support for
all possible device types.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com