[mythtv-users] Big Myth system (2-3 satellite receivers + capture devices, 5 tvs, Samsung DLNA) ?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Jul 28 15:07:06 UTC 2011

On 7/28/2011 10:42, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Andre<mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk>  wrote:
>> DLNA can give much better picture quality than any Myth frontend, direct access to the TV's integrated decoder has benefits
> I have my doubts about that.  You're basically saying that your TV
> will have a much better picture when decoding compressed video
> internally than any possible signal delivered via HDMI.  If that's the
> case, then I'd say your TV has a broken HDMI input implementation.

He's saying that the decoder, renderer, and scaler know the exact
capabilities of the TV, and thus are tuned to best deliver high quality
video.  However, the fact that they won't play video at anything other
than 60fps, even if the display supports it, suggests Samsung just slaps
some generic hardware into all of their TVs.