[mythtv-users] Big Myth system (2-3 satellite receivers + capture devices, 5 tvs, Samsung DLNA) ?

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Thu Jul 28 13:20:59 UTC 2011

On 7/27/11 10:51 PM, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> We just moved into a new house we are renting.
>
> We receive our TV signal via satellite.  We need at least 2 and possibly
> 3 receivers to cover our viewing needs.
>
> Most of the TV locations have a Cat 5 outlet near them.
>
> I'd like to build a Myth system that captures the signals from 2 or 3
> satellite receivers and feed them appropriately to up to 5 TVs.  Only 2
> or 3 will be in use at any time.

Sounds pretty similar to my setup, which I installed when I had the
house built.
> Some of the viewing will be live.

I don't use DLNA, but I'm not sure if it is possible to do DLNA with
live TV in Myth. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong though
:-). I use IONs for my frontends, so I can run MFE on each TV (monitor,
actually). This has the added niceties of commercial skipping and a
consistent UI.

I use combo RF/IR remotes, which send their RF signals to a receiver
attached to the server. Each frontend then receives its signals via the
network using LIRC.
> I'd like to use Hauppauge HD PVR cards to do the capturing.
>
> 2 of the TVs are Samsungs with DLNA capability.
>
> What sort of server will I need to handle this system ?

Not much. It depends on how much transcoding of the H.264 you want to
do, but I get away just fine with one dual-core AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250
at 3.0 GHz and only 2 Gb of RAM. The big thing is storage: I have four 2
Tb drives in a RAID 6 array (~4 Tb usable space), just for recordings.